Author: Daniel Bellino
The RAT PACK – Brief History
3. There were actually two different Rat Packs, one popular in the ’50s and another (the most famous and notable) in the ’60s. The first consisted of Humphrey Bogart, Mickey Rooney, Errol Flynn, Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Cesar Romero and Jerry Lewis.
4. The name of the iconic Great Dane cartoon character Scooby-Doo has Frank Sinatra to thank for his namesake. The famous mutt’s creator, Iwao Takamoto, listened to Sinatra’s hit song “Strangers in the Night” and noticed his scatting (which sounded like “dooby dooby doo.”) This ultimately led to the character’s name.
5. Ocean’s 11 (1960) was a famed heist movie that featured all five of the Pack’s members in lead roles (Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr., Dean Martin, Peter Lawford and Joey Bishop).
6. Dean Martin wasn’t actually a big fan of parties, despite his reputation and membership in the Pack. Not only was he religious and a devout Catholic, but he was also self-described as shy and ashamed of the way he spoke.
7. Joey Bishop was considered the more serious man of the group regarding comedy and wild antics. Ironically, he was also the member who wrote their comedic material behind the scenes.
8. Bishop was also insecure about his standing with the Pack and felt like an outsider. He would constantly wait for an invitation to join the rest of the group when dining. His close friend Sinatra once reportedly said, “Goddammit, how long does he have to be with me before he knows he can eat with us?”
9. The group often performed at the Copa Room in the Sands Hotel in Las Vegas. Whenever a member was booked, billboards would hint at the surprise appearances of the other members.
10. The Rat Pack was known for its association with many famous actresses, including Lauren Bacall, Shirley MacLaine, Marilyn Monroe, Juliette Prowse and Angie Dickinson. The leading ladies made many appearances in the Rat Pack films. Frank Sinatra even had romantic relationships with Prowse and Dickinson.
More RAT PACK Stuff
Sinatra Eats – Favorite Italian Food
Frank Sinatra, both the greatest singer and greatest entertainer of the 20th Century. No question. Sinatra was a legendary icon whose star still shines bright. He was a musical icon, celebrity, international personality, and to millions of Italian-Americans he was our own, a paisan. Frank was an Italian-American whose ancestry is from Genoa on his mother’s side of the family and Sicilian on his father’s side. And being Italian, Frank loved the food he grew up with, Dolly made a mean Marianara Sauce as well as Meatballs and the all-time Italian-American favorite Sunday Sauce (aka Gravy). Frank loved the food of his childhood; the Spaghetti & Meatballs, Stuffed Artichokes, Pasta Fazool, Frittata, Eggplant Parmigiana and all the usual suspects of the Italian-American table. It’s a well known fact that Frank’s favorite restaurant was Patsy’s on 56th Street in New York … When Frank went to Patsy’s his favorite dishes were Calms Posillipo and Veal Milanese with a nice plate of Spaghetti Pomodoro in-between, and maybe a slice of Cheesecake to finish if Frank was in the mood.
FRANK and AVA
FRANK’S FAVORITE RESTAURANT
Frank Sinatra dines with Marylyn Monroe
Frank Sinatra ‘s Egg Sandwiches
GINO’S on Lexington Avenue was a Sinatra favorite ..
A waiter and the famed Zebra Wallpaper of Gino’s ..
SPAGHETTI & METBALLS
Stay at The White Lotus Hotel – Taormina Sicily
San Domenico Palace, Taormina, A Four Seasons Hotel is a unique hotel, with terraces overlooking Mount Etna and the Bay of Taormina. It features a fitness centre, a beauty corner, and an outdoor swimming pool.
This luxury hotel in Taormina consists of 2 historic buildings. The Garden Wing is a former 15th-century convent with cloister. The Grand Hotel Wing was added in 1896.
All rooms are uniquely decorated, and equipped with air conditioning and TV with satellite channels. Most rooms offer views of the sea, and some also have a private balcony.
Mentioned in the most famous food guides, the restaurants and bars of the hotel serve traditional Sicilian cuisine. Breakfast buffet is served at the restaurant and includes local pastries.
Joe Biden Favorite Presidents Pasta – Rigatoni Pasta with Fennel Sausage Recipe
JOE BIDEN”S FAVORITE PASTA
RIGATONI w FENNEL SAUSAGE
1 & 1/2 pound Sweet Italian Fennel Sausage
1 small Onion, peeled and chopped
3 cloves Garlic, peeled and minced
1 – 28 oz. Can San Marzano Tomatoes
10 tablespoons Heavy Cream
1/4 teaspoon each Salt & Black Pepper
3/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
1 pound imported Italian Rigatoni
2 tablespoons Butter
1. Place tomatoes in a bowl and break into very small pieces with your fingers.
2. Remove meat from Sausage casings.
3. Add Olive Oil and onions to a large skillet. Season with half the salt and pepper. Cook on low heat for 2 minutes.
4. Crumble the sausage into small pieces and add to the skillet. Cook on medium heat for 4 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon as you cook.
5. Add Garlic to pan and continue cooking for 3 minutes.
6. Add the crushed tomatoes and remaining Salt and pepper to the pan and turn heat up to high. Cook on high heat for 2 minutes, then lower the flame to medium for 10 minutes.
7. Fill a large pot 3/4 full with water and 2 tablespoons of salt, and turn the heat to high.
8. Lower Tomatoes to a flame and continue cooking on low heat for 12 minutes.
9. Add the Rigatoni to boiling water and cook according to directions on package.
10. After the tomatoes have simmered for about 25 minutes, add the Heavy Cream to the pan and cook on medium to high heat for 4-5 minutes to reduce the cream. Be sure to stir with a wooden spoon, scraping the bottom of the pan as you stir to keep the sauce from burning.
11. Once the Rigatoni is finished cooking, drain in a colander, being sure to reserve a half cup of the pasta cooking water.
12. Put the drained pasta back into the pot it cooked in and add the sauce to the pot and mix. Add the drained pasta, 1/4 cup of pasta water to the pot cook on a low flame for 2 minutes.
13. Turn the heat off and add the Butter and half the grated Parmesan to pot and stir.
14. Plate into 4 to 6 plates and serve. Serve with remaining grated cheese on the side, and Enjoy!
Brought to you by Chef Daniel Bellino and NEW YORK ITALIAN on Instagram
RECIPES FROM MY SICILIAN NONNA
#Rigatoni with #Fennel #Sausage#Ragu
Not too Late for CHRISTMAS Feast of The 7 Fish Italian Christmas
IT’S NOT TOO LATE !!!
For The FEAST of The 7 FISH
GET IT at AMAZON KINDLE
The SINATRA Tee Shirt
Godfather Fans Ultimate Christmas Birthday Gifts
And More …
Celebrating 50 years, this deluxe limited edition set offers, for the first time in one collection, the essential, definitive saga of the Corleone family, overseen by director Francis Ford Coppola and based on the bestselling novel by Mario Puzo. A global cultural touchstone captivating fans across generations, the enduring cinematic legacy of THE GODFATHER has immeasurably influenced popular culture, and rightfully earned its legacy as one of the greatest in the history of motion pictures. Remastered and restored in 4K UHD with HDR-10 and Dolby Vision, this collection includes Best Picture Academy Award winners for Best Picture THE GODFATHER and THE GODFATHER PART II, alongside the acclaimed conclusion MARIO PUZO’S THE GODFATHER CODA: THE DEATH OF MICHAEL CORLEONE. Includes both the Theatrical and 1991 cuts of THE GODFATHER PART III, as well as a special features Blu-ray featuring all-new content.
The High Price of PASTRAMI in New York
Antico Vinaio Opens Italian Sandwich Shop Greenwich Village New York NYC